It’s a good thing! Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students is currently open. Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students is a great initiative in leadership and academics designed to African high school pupils with the potential, desire and energy to have a significant impact as young leaders before they start their studies at university. The sixth year of the program is in its final phase. this program is a gruelling mix of African high schoolers aged between 14-18 years old to participate in a free, intensive academic and residential course.
The program is managed under The Yale Young Global Scholars Program which is based on that model of an academic curriculum that is interdisciplinary, YYAS partakers will attend lectures delivered by prominent Yale instructors, workshops led by Yale student instructors, as well as practical exercises designed to improve their leadership skills. Participants will participate in extensive research exchanges which are crucial in understanding Africa’s most important issues and opportunities. In addition to the introduction to university admissions procedures, Yale student-led courses and the training for leaders, YYAS also offers students regular test preparation classes without cost to students.
Application Deadline: 16th February 2021 at 11:59pm EST.
Country Eligible: African countries
To be held by (country):Summer 2021 YYAS will take place online
Eligible Field of Study: Any
Type: Training/Short Courses
Eligibility for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
- Age You have to be minimum 14 years old at the deadline to apply in order to consider your application. Please be aware that the typically YYAS student is between 15-18.
- English: Applicant must be able to follow an academic program that is rigorous and which is completed in English.
- citizenship: Applicant must be a permanent or national resident in one of the African nation. YYAS can also consider applications from refugees who reside within one of the African state.
- School Location: You must presently be enrolled in a school located in an African country.
- Date of graduation: If the applicant is a student within the Northern Hemisphere, applicant must be graduating from secondary school before the earliest date of May/June 2021. If the student is within the Southern Hemisphere, applicant must be graduating from secondary school before the earliest date of November/December 2020. students who finish secondary school before August 2020 are not qualified for application .
If an applicant is in the final year or at the end of a term in secondary school has already completed secondary school or is a student at a university and is not qualified to apply.
If an individual is a YYAS or YYGS an alumnus/a of the school, he/she can not apply to YYAS. (*However in the event that are an YYAS Alumnus/a, they may apply for YYGS when they are they are eligible.)
Selection Criteria for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
The typical YYAS participant is:
- Excellent academic record
- Possibilities for leadership
- Communication skills that are strong in both written and verbal abilities
- Ability to work in a team environment with peers
- Determination and persistence when facing the challenges
- The highest standards of personal and professional conduct
- The ability to read and analyze on vast amounts of challenging content in English
- Are interested in participating in discussions on moral, intellectual and political issues in Africa
No. of Awardees:
Benefits of Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
- To provide the program to students of all background There is no cost for students to take part in YYAS.
Duration of Program:25 th July to 31 st July 2021*
*Program dates are subjected to changes. Other dates include 1 1st August through 7 7 August in 2021. A final decision will be reached prior to the admissions offer is sent to students.
How to Apply for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
APPLY NOW for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
Visit the Scholarship Website for more information regarding Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
Important note: Be aware that there isn’t any cost to apply for or participate in YYAS. We share the same application form online with our sister program YYGS however, the fee section is for students who want to apply to both programs and YYGS only. Students who only wish to apply to YYAS must not bother with the section on financial aid in the online application.